We provide a more comprehensive methodology for the Greenhouse Gas Emissions analytics. Click here to view or download the Greenhouse Gas Emissions Technical Guide.
UrbanFootprint models the Greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from transport, water. and energy utilities.
GHG emissions from transportation include carbon dioxide equivalent (CO2e) emissions from both upstream and downstream components of the energy lifecycle. Upstream emissions (also known as well-to-tank, or WTT emissions) include those associated with the production of energy, from material extraction to processing and transport. For electricity, this includes power plant emissions. Downstream emissions (tank-to-wheel, or TTW emissions) are those that occur upon energy use. For liquid fuels, this includes the emissions that occur upon fuel combustion. The emissions associated with electric and other alternative or “zero emission” vehicle use are primarily upstream.
UrbanFootprint calculates greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions associated with building energy use as a function of energy use and GHG emission rates for electricity generation and natural gas combustion. Emissions results vary according to the energy use profile of each scenario, and assumptions about the resource mix of the future energy portfolio.
Water-related energy use and greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions refer to those resulting from two main water-related energy use categories:
- System Uses, including the transport and treatment of residential water consumed.
- End Uses - including all uses of water that occur within homes (e.g., water heating).
UrbanFootprint calculates energy use and emissions for water system uses only, since these can be considered as a discrete component of a GHG emissions inventory (along with transportation-related and building energy emissions). Water end-use emissions are counted as part of building energy emissions.
The chart summary for GHG includes:
- GHG Emissions By Sector - Annual greenhouse gas emissions from transport and household utilities (MMT CO2e).
- GHG Emissions By Sector, Per Household - Average annual greenhouse gas emissions from transport and household utilities, per household (Metric Tons CO2e)
Note: If you hover the mouse onto the horizontal chart, it displays the base value of the usage.
- Water - Annual greenhouse gas emissions from Water.
- Energy - Annual greenhouse gas emissions from Energy.
- Trans - Annual greenhouse gas emissions from Transport.