We provide a more comprehensive method for the Water Demand module. Click here to view or download the Water Demand Module Technical Guide.
UrbanFootprint models residential and commercial water demands for all buildings in the base year and for future scenarios. Scenarios vary in their water demand profiles due to their building program, the location of new growth, and policy-based assumptions about improvements in water efficiency over time. The costs and GHG (Greenhouse Gas) emissions associated with water demand, in turn, vary according to policy-based price and emissions rate assumptions.
Indoor and outdoor water use for residential and commercial buildings are modeled separately within UrbanFootprint. Indoor water use is estimated on a per-capita and per-employee basis, while outdoor water use is estimated by irrigated area at the parcel scale. Indoor and outdoor water use are first calculated according to baseline rates and then adjusted to account for the application of efficiency and conservation policies into the future.
The chart summary for water use includes:
- Total Annual Water Use - Annual residential and commercial indoor and outdoor water use (in gallons).
- Per Capita Annual Water Use - Annual average water use per resident and per employee (in gallons).
- Per Capita Residential Water Use by LDC - Per capita annual average water use by land development category (LDC) (in gallons).
Note: If you hover the mouse onto the horizontal chart, it displays the base value of the water usage.
- Res In - Residential indoor water usage.
- Res Out - Residential outdoor water usage.
- Com In - Commercial indoor water usage.
- Com Out - Commercial outdoor water usage.
- Res - Residential water usage.
- Com - Commercial water usage.
- Urban - Annual average water usage in urban areas.
- Compact - Annual average water usage in compact areas.
- Standard - Annual average water usage in standard / suburban areas.
- Rural - Annual average water usage in rural areas.